this blog’s a bit more technical than most… so you don’t have to read it if you don’t want to.
a little background… as far as i can tell, this is what happened:i kitted my stella at 1100 miles. pinasco, 26/26 (T5) carb, sito . this corresponded with the start of a west coast adventure. i ran into various problems along the way (exhaust pipe kept falling off, headlight lens kept falling off, got an airleak, etc)
i ran the kit for about 5500 miles. it’s been a good couple of months. nearly all of those miles were WFO highway riding. jetting wandered back and forth between a little lean and a little rich several times over the course of the trip, but it was never horrible.
i had the head off after the airleak, and the cylinder looked great. so no problems there.
then a couple of weeks ago i was trying to make it from los angeles to san francisco one night. it was kinda late and i was running low on oil. and i didn’t realize that i had no extra oil in the glovebox. poop. so i stopped at an auto parts store and bought the “premium” non-synthetic two stroke oil. i wasn’t too excited about that, but i wouldn’t be going anywhere without oil, so i decided it was an acceptable risk.
about a hundred miles later (pitch black outside by now) i think i soft seized. i didn’t realize it at the time, because i was pretty low on gas. so i just assumed it was out. i pulled over to the side and refilled my gas. of course the engine had a bit of time to cool off while i was messing with the gas, so it started right up… i’m still thinking i was just out of gas.
less than 5 miles down the road she hard seized. i pulled over to the side of the highway and let her cool down, but the kickstart wasn’t moving. so i walked her to the closest exit and parked her at a gas station… now i’m finally getting around to tearing things apart to assess the damage.
and the moment we’ve all been waiting for… i finally got my scooter from pismo beach to somewhere i could take it apart. pulled off the cylinder. here’s the damage:
i know the big end bearing is trashed. the crank turns smoothly and there’s no play in it, but the con rod doesn’t move without a lot of force and some weird friction. everything else (aside from the piston) looks okay.
i’d like to get this rebuilt in the next week or two so i can ride back to utah. i need to be there end of august/start of september.